November 6, 2011
Earlier this year, OSHA said its air tests found that workers in salons using Brazilian Blowout had been exposed to dangerous levels of methylene glycol, or liquid formaldehyde. The agency issued fines for multiple citations and a national health hazard alert. In August, the FDA warned the Brazilian Blowout company to stop misleading customers by misbranding itself as “formaldehyde-free.”
Brazilian Blowout CEO Mike Brady denies his product has failed any air standard tests and disputes the accuracy of OSHA’s results. In emailed statements for this story, Brady said OSHA “has confirmed that Brazilian Blowout has passed 24 out of 24 controlled air monitoring tests,” and that OSHA was reviewing its “faulty report,” though he could offer no documentation for either claim.